Safety Specialist, Ship Repair Operations
Delphinus Engineering, Inc., Marine Services Division has an immediate opening for an experienced Safety Specialist to support our expanding Ship Repair Operations in the Norfolk, Virginia area. Under the direction of the EHS Manager, the Safety Specialist will conduct safety inspections at various worksites, monitor compliance with applicable safety rules, and assist On-Site Supervisors with implementation/enforcement of safety policy and regulatory requirements.
- Preferred candidate will have a minimum of 4 years of experience working as a safety person in the shipyard/ship repair work environment.
- Working knowledge of OSHA 1910 & 1915 Standards.
- Knowledge of the NAVSEA Standard Items.
- Basic computer skills for writing reports and skills to communicate effectively.
- Working knowledge on use of technical equipment for noise monitoring, paint sampling and air monitoring.
- An active secret security clearance is preferred or applicant must be able to obtain a clearance.
- Evaluates the worksite to identify job hazards and establish appropriate controls that can encompass the full range of occupational safety and health hazards related to the ship-repair work environment.
- Coordinate with site personnel to address and enforce compliance with company safety policy, contract safety requirements, and state and federal regulatory compliance issues.
- Conducts accident investigations, studies, interprets results, presents specific conclusions, and makes recommendations to initiate corrective actions needed.
- Assist in developing safety and health training programs and conducts safety and health training at various worksites.
- Conducts daily safety inspections onboard ship and at other worksites.
The Safety Specialist position is a physically demanding job and candidates’ must be able to move freely onboard ship to traverse tight passageways, squat, stand, climb vertical ladders, lift and carry 20 lbs. of equipment, enter and exit confined spaces/tanks & voids and walk long distances to get too the worksite.
Additional Experience /Training Certifications:
- Active Shipyard Competent Person Certification
- HAZWOPER Certified
- RCRA Certified
- CPR & First Aid Training
Interested personnel should submit an electronic copy of their resume to email@example.com
Requisition No. DELPH24 (please ensure that you reference this number when submitting for this position)
Delphinus Engineering, Inc., is an EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled Employer.